What I need to know about the Child Car Seat Law in the Philippines 2019
Last Feb. 22, 2019. Republic Act 11229 or the Child Safety in Motor Vehicles Act was signed by President Duterte.
So what does this mean for me?
Don’t worry mamshies, I got you covered!
The main things that we need to note are the following
- Below 12 years old is not allowed to seat in front unless they are 4’11” or 150 cms in height and secured with regular seatbelt.
- The child should be in his car seat while the engine of the car is running.
- Use the appropriate car seat according to child’s height, weight and age
- You are exempted to use the car seat if circumstances where its use would put such child in greater danger, such as during medical emergencies or when the child has a medical or developmental condition.
- Never leave your child alone in the car while strapped in his / her car seat
- The carseat that you will be using will need to have the Philippine Standard mark (PS mark) or Import Clearance Certificate (ICC)
- Tampering with the PS mark or ICC mark sticker shall be punished with a fine of not less than P50,000 but not more than P100,000 for each and every child restraint system product.
- What will happen if we don’t follow the law? Here are the punishment for the violations:
- P1,000 for the first offense,
- P2,000 for the second offense
- P5,000 and the suspension of the driver’s license for one year for the third and succeeding offenses
I hope this helps and goodluck to all of us!
Let me know in the comments if you guys have already gotten your carseats and from where!